What Makes Us Different
Home / Our Story / Why Desert Star Dance
- Classes: Our classes are organized by age and skill level. Upon joining, we allow you to take as many dance classes for one full week in the appropriate age group and level. Once you have found a class (or classes) that suits your needs, you only pay for what you sign up for! We don’t ask for any payment up front. Preschool class size is limited to 12 students and there is always a teachers’ assistant present.
- Staff: Desert Star instructors are experienced and well trained professionals. Our teachers are dedicated to the art of dance and interested in the welfare of children and their development. Dance classes at DSD are well planned, age appropriate, and designed to help children learn and grow through the arts. Our friendly, knowledgeable, and courteous front desk staff is always available during class hours to assist you. They will make you feel welcome and help to make your experience a pleasant one.
- Shows: Desert Star Dance is known for the amazing and entertaining shows we present. Our dance presentations are unique and different from all other studios. Our productions are professional looking with attention to detail and of a reasonable duration. You won’t feel like you’re sitting through an endless “dance recital”. Even our community events are fun, organized, and entertaining. The whole family will love our shows!
We feel strongly about the entertainment aspect of dance and our faculty has extensive experience in theater production. Dance is a theatrical art form so dancers will learn about theater craft in addition to dance. When you see a show by Desert Star, you will know you are watching something special. We are sure you will be delighted when you see your student in action.
- Location: Desert Star Dance is conveniently located on the border of Gilbert and Chandler. We are a quick drive from most anywhere in the Gilbert/Chandler area, and are a short distance from Ahwatukee, Mesa, Queen Creek, and Tempe.
- Age Appropriateness: In recent years there has been a lot of buzz about age appropriate dance. It has become a topic of interest with the public after shows like “Dance Moms” and viral videos featuring young dancers have come in to the spotlight. The music, dance movements, and costuming we present at Desert Star Dance are always in good taste. We want our parents to feel confident that their children will be participating in family friendly dance. Students will not be performing overtly provocative dance moves, wearing revealing costumes, or dancing to music that is profanity laden. We choose and edit our music carefully, pick costumes that parents can feel at ease with, and don’t teach choreography that is inappropriate for young people. We feel this is just common sense.
Desert Star dance was founded in 2003 by Ann Olsen Bode. Ann and her team of professionals are dedicated to creating an atmosphere that stands apart from other dance academies. Desert Star puts the students and their families first! In a world of competitive and dramatic dance environments, Desert Star Dance strikes a healthy balance between striving for excellence and enjoyment of the process.
DSD takes it seriously that we are influencing young lives. Our goal is to have a positive impact while encouraging kids to work hard and be their best. We know there is a delicate balance between discipline and fun and feel it is important to maintain that balance in our classes and performances. We strongly believe in age appropriateness for youngsters in dance movement, physical training, music, as well as costuming.
To find out more about our philosophy go to Ann’s blog posts.
Students are STARS!
It is our goal to include students rather than exclude, and we have created an environment where all students can feel special, important, and confident. We cater to the once a week dancer as well as the serious minded student. Dance is for EVERYONE! We know that once you experience the positive atmosphere and incredible staff at DSD, you will want to return week after week.
Desert Star Dance instructors are experienced and knowledgeable professionals. They aim to inspire and entertain their students while teaching them the art of dance. Although our teachers are amazing performers and award winning choreographers - their main focus is the student and not their own notoriety. Teaching is the number one priority.